Mobile communications is a central component of our daily lives. And in today’s competitive markets, the stakes are high. Arent Fox has experience in the full scope of legal matters encountered by companies in all areas of the mobile ecosystem. We help established corporations develop mobile strategies. We work with entrepreneurs in launching their latest venture. We assist mobile content aggregators and content providers in navigating the vagaries of carrier relations, consumer protection, and consumer privacy issues.
We have also advised a variety of industry trade associations on a range of legal and regulatory issues and regularly monitor developments in the legislative and executive branches that impact companies working in this arena.
Our mobile communications skills include:
- Establishing new entities and ensuring continued corporate compliance
- Negotiating strategic alliances and licensing agreements
- Securing venture capital and initiating public offerings
- Counseling regarding entry of commercial companies into government markets
- Assisting in implementing special security agreements, proxy agreements, and other arrangements to mitigate foreign ownership control or influence issues
- Counseling regarding cost reimbursement contracting and cost accounting standards
- Shaping legislation, regulations, and government policy through direct lobbying and coordination with Members of Congress, administration officials, and key staff members
- Monitoring, analyzing, and reporting on legislative and regulatory developments
- Assist in preparation of federal grant, loan, and loan guarantee applications
- Providing advice regarding the use and sharing of electronic medical records, the transmission of health care information by electronic communications, and mHealth
- Counseling regarding the HITECH Act and similar legislation at the state level
- Assisting clients in licensing, contracting, advertising, fraud and abuse, reimbursement, and privacy issues that arise in the mHealth world
- Preparing patent and trademark applications directed to developing products
- Monitoring strength of intellectual property regarding product and assessing protection strategy
- Identify competitor products as possible intellectual property licensing and assertion targets
- Counseling regarding consumer privacy law and regulations
- Representing clients before the FCC and state utility commissions
- Negotiating and litigating against wireless network operators
Washington, DC — On February 24, 2015, Arent Fox LLP obtained summary judgment for CallFire, Inc. when a federal judge ruled the cloud telephone service provider could not be liable in a class action lawsuit that claimed the company violated the federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) and Washington State law.
Yesterday, Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Chairwoman Edith Ramirez, Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman Tom Wheeler, and two state attorneys general representing all 50 states and the District of Columbia held a press conference to announce a significant enforcement action against AT&T Mobility for unlawfully billing customers for unauthorized third-party charges, also known as “cramming.”
On March 31, 2014, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) held its monthly Open Meeting and adopted two orders that will make a tremendous amount of new spectrum available for wireless broadband access. In one Report and Order, the FCC designated high-frequency spectrum at the 5 Gigahertz (GHz) frequency for new unlicensed use, meaning that the spectrum will not be auctioned for money and will not require special applications to the FCC. This 5GHz spectrum can be used for Wi-Fi and similar services.
On January 9, 2014, Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman Tom Wheeler released a blog post indicating that he intends to prod smaller wireless carriers and over-the-top (OTT) texting services to provide their customers text-to-911 services by no later than the end of this year. Chairman Wheeler also circulated a draft policy statement and further notice of proposed rulemaking on this topic that the FCC commissioners will consider at the FCC’s next open meeting scheduled for January 30, 2014.
ABOUT ARENT FOX LLP
Arent Fox LLP, founded in 1942, is internationally recognized in core practice areas where business and government intersect. With more than 350 lawyers, the firm provides strategic legal counsel and multidisciplinary solutions to clients that range from Fortune 500 corporations to trade associations. The firm has offices in Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, and Washington, DC.